“Don’t follow your dreams, Chase them” That’s what the front of my planner says. Clutter, whether it is mental or physical, can make us feel stuck and hinder us from chasing after those dreams.
Our physical world is a reflection of our mental clutter and vice versa. That is part of the reason why organizing can be emotional, scary and life-changing all at the same time.
The thing that before and after pictures don’t show is the transformation that happens in the person.
In fact, there are photos I have on my phone, of spaces that are not Pinterest worthy but are LIFE worthy.
Spaces of real people where you can’t even see the floor or the bed, and you wonder where they sleep.
So often we think of organization as this PERFECT place you arrive to.
Truth is organization is not perfect and sometimes it takes layers, other times it gets worse before it gets better.
So, as you think of getting organized, strive for BETTER, not perfect.
The following 3 (three) steps will help you get specific, keep you motivated, and help you get started on your organization goal.
Be sure to print your FREE printable!
So let’s get started!!!
1. Identify Your Goal
First fill in says: My Organization goal is:___________________
YOU CAN’T get this wrong.
Start where you are.
Re-print and start over when you have completed your first goal, or your focus has changed.
Trust me, YOU WILL change.
Here are some thought-provoking prompts for you:
- What is bothering you? (ex. Ex. never-ending paper piles, your entry where stuff collects, your overflowing bedroom closet, your cluttered office, your disorganized kitchen pantry)
- If you had a magic wand, that could do anything, what would you have it do?
2. Identify your Motivation
Second fill in is: so that I can: ____________________ (ex. Get dressed stress-free, find the document I need when I need it, serve my clients better, Reduce my stress, eat better, travel more, be more focused and present, stop arguing with my spouse, spend less time cleaning, restore the peace and joy in my home)
Another way to approach in answering this question would be:
- What is the clutter keeping you from doing?
- What is it costing you to not be organized?
3. Identify the Steps and commit now
Motivation is what get you started. Habit is what keeps you going
List 3 things YOU ARE WILLING to do to get you there: ________________
Making a conscious decision is the first step. Write down three things you can do to get you started. Then do them repeatedly such as:
- Make your bed at the start of the day.
- Do one drawer at a time.
- Wash the dishes after every meal.
- Use your timer for 15 minutes of concentrated tidying.
- Tackle paper as it comes through your door.
- Turn off notifications on your phone and check e-mail/social media only at designated times.
- Stop shopping sales and only purchase what you need.
- Invest in yourself by hiring a professional organizer to help you accomplish your organizing goal.
A nail is driven out by another nail; habit is overcome by habit.
Wasn’t that powerful?! Now, guess what happens when you start off by creating your Goal plan?………
It makes it much easier to make decisions when it comes to donating or discarding items from your space.
Because you have identified that it does not belong in your future.
What is that one space you would LOVE to get organized?
How will this improve your life? Do you practice writing out your goals? I’d love to know so leave me a note in the comments.